WELCOME IN CoBL CLAN

Micro and Micro

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Micro and Micro

Post  SwissKus on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:23 am

Hello, I was just recruited by Maxep and I decided that I might as well post a old guide I wrote back in the day. I come from a starcraft background and because of this the importance of Micro and Macro are very well defined in my head. I hope you can learn something from this.

What is Micro?
Micro is to use each of your units to their maximum potential. Is to make each unit live as long and be as useful as is possible. It means to make each unit do the maximum possible damage before dying. When you arrive at a high level of play Micro changes the course of the game completely.

Then what is macro?
Macro is basically your finances. It is knowing how much money you have left andhow to use it. 'll Explain this issue in detail later.

In this guide I will not be able to illustrate every possible fight and how to face it because it would take too long, but I will try to illustrate how one should deal with the different types of units and their specializations. For the purpose of this guide I'll use the Map Maker.

Melee vs Melee

First micro situation in a game, the melee against melee. In this example I will teach you how to win a fight against 4 of 4 champions champions and losing as little as possible while killing all enemy units. The first thing I do before any battle is to grab my soldiers and put them together in groups. For this example I will select four champions and put them in group 1. (Ctrl +1) Then I select all my units and attack one of the enemy champions. The reason why I use all my champions vs his one is to kill his unit as fast as possible, thus reducing the damage output that unit creates. Once that champion is dead we attack another one. Once I see that one of my champions is about to die I pull him back. If the enemy decides to pursue him then he is giving my other champions free hits, however if he does not pursue, then that champion can come in later and still deal damage. Keep repeating these steps until all 4 enemys are dead.
If you are new at this it is quite possible and common that a couple of your champions will die.

Second situation, the Archer against Melee.

The biggest advantage of ranged units is their ability to shoot without being touched. If you have a troop of archers against a troop of soldiers then the most important thing is to ensure that the enemy units never get close. The way to do this is to move back after every shot. By doing this continuously you can ensure that when the enemy finally gets close to your archers, most of his soldiers are dead. But beware, even if the enemy manages to get close to your archers keep them moving back and firing. The reason for this is that artificial intelligence that controls the soldiers will take a millisecond to follow you which gives you time. And even if the enemy player is controlling those troops the same, not matter because the gap between attack and melee AI Movement is much greater than that of the archers. Another important tip that is especially usefull in small scale battles is to make all your archers to attack a single soldier, and if not killed with the first volley, then you should click on the same soldier. This goes back to the principle that if hes dead then he cant damage your archers, you might think that it is better to shoot more than one soldier, however the danger is that if the soldiers do get close then all the soldiers that you hurt but did not kill will still hurt you. Now for large scale battles, with more than 50 archers, I recommend that you use the command "Stop." This command is activated by pressing the "S". The reason for this is that your archers stand, shoot, and then you can move them back. Keep doing this until the enemy is dead.

Note: The usage of the stop command is very useful whenever you manage to surprise raid an enemy camp. Your archers will stop and start killing any villager in sight.

Third situation, the Melee against Archer.

This is one of the toughest matchups, you want to get in close and stay close, remember to use your formations to constantly move your troops out of the arrows way. If you hit the enemy try to cancel as much of the attack animation as possible and keep moving after them. This is really not a fight you want to get into, unless your the huns of course.

The Mounted Archer

The mounted archer is one of the most versatile units in the game of AoC. His speed combined with his accuracy leaves enemy troops in pieces as the horses run away without taking damage. For me personaly, they are the best troops in the game, uncatchable and allowing very easy infiltration of the enemy's camp and subsequent destruction of his economy. By the time the enemy has reacted, you are already back iin your base, safe. As a Mongol player, magudai's play a key role in my game, I try to emulate Genghis Khan's tactics of hit and run and have had great success so far. Well, now how to use them in battle against pikeman. Pikeman do the most damage to horses, however iwth mounted archers it is very easy to use the archer tactics previously outlined to fool them.

-Macro-

I'll leave this open to suggestions since this is one of the biggest holes in my AoC game. Just remember, if you have more than 500 of something and your not saving up to go up in age, then your doing something wrong.

SwissKus
Clan member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Micro and Micro

Post  patriot on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:59 am

thanks for your tip SwissKus, this is very excellent job, i newer before use ''S'' or Stop command Very Happy ,
very nice, i hope will be more of you r tips in future Idea

-Macro-

I'll leave this open to suggestions since this is one of the biggest holes in my AoC game. Just remember, if you have more than 500 of something and your not saving up to go up in age, then your doing something wrong.
i know a lot of players who have 1k resources and say gg Smile

patriot
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Olof on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:49 pm

Hi and welcome to the clan Swisskus. I am happy to have you with us. I heard that the Star Craft players are one of the best in this strategic game category, so you will probably have much to learn and teach us. Besides our good clan mate Cruiser is also and old Star Craft player and he sure have some skills I think.

i know a lot of players who have 1k resources and say gg Smile
I guess I am one of them sometimes Smile Though when all your military buildings and units is gone there is not much to do against an rapid advancing hostile army What a Face But anyway you have an point: the resources are to be used and not stacked up.

Olof
Admin

View user profile http://www.wretchedradio.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SwissKus on Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:36 pm

Im coming back on wednesday. Might take the time to screenshot what I mean. I used to have it all screenshoted but I mustve lost them.

Also even if you hit 200 pop and thats why u have the recourses then make more building and use that army. Even if they all die you should replace them quickly. Might also add a bit on hotkeys and Unit placement.

Also I think I forgot to say that altitude plays a part in the game. Always get your archers to a hill. That way they are in a superior position to fight.

SwissKus
Clan member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  _CyZ_Claire on Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:48 am

Here I try to explain with picture and some text what is Micro and what Macro Razz

http://i35.servimg.com/u/f35/15/45/69/79/micro_10.jpg

_CyZ_Claire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top